Deconstructivism and Facebook. Frank Gehry.

New York by Gehry
770 Broadway
FaceBook just moved into the new office, 770 Broadway  on Monday, February 24.The new office, situated on two floors, is 100,000 square feet. Facebook now has 320 employess in New York. Three years ago, Facebook employed just 80 in New York. Facebook looking to hire more engineers, recruiting from local schools like NYU , Cooper Union and beyond.
New office was designed by Frank Gehry- american architect who  is credited with popularizing deconstructivism.
Vanity Fair  in 2010 labeled Frank Gehry as "the most important architect of our age".

Deconstructivism in architecture was born in the late 80s of the twentieth century. Deconstructivism explores fragmentation and distorts the walls, roof and  interior volumes. The structure of the building has a feeling of controlled chaos and stimulating unpredictability.

Cuggenhiem museum, Bilbao
The most spectacular example of the deconstructivism style   is Frank O. Gehry’s  titanium-clad Guggenheim Museum at Bilbao, Spain. 
Frank Gehry  was born in Toronto in 1929 and moved to California in 1949. His  parents were Polish Jews. Frank  was given the Hebrew name "Ephraim" by his grandfather.  A number of his buildings, including his private residence, have become world renowned tourist attractions.
There are not so many deconstructivist buildings in New York City.

IAC building
I know only two- both built by Gehry. In 2007 the architect built IAC Building, on  555 West 18th Street, in Chelsea area of New York City. You can look at the building from the HighLine - the newly open park.

 In 2011 Gehry built "New York by Gehry"  - a 76-story skyscraper at 8 Spruce Street in Lower Manhattan, south of City Hall Plaza and the Brooklyn Bridge. 
It is  the 12th tallest residential tower in the world and the second tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere ( the first one is  One57 on West 57 in Manhattan- read about it in one of my posts ).  The tower contains more than 800  residential rental units,  a rarity in New York’s Financial District.  Available studios and one-bedrooms rent for skyward of $3,700 a month and three bedrooms for $11,975 and up.
New York by Gehry
For the ultimate elite, there are three penthouse apartments,    which will go on the market for $40,000, $45,000 and $60,000 a month.

The first five floors of the 76-story tower house the new Public School 397, the entrance of which is   separated from the residents’ entrance on the west, so the streams of children arriving and lawyers and bankers leaving for work do not have to cross. The building also has an ambulatory care facility for New York Downtown Hospital and a ground-floor retail space.
 There is a  50-foot swimming pool on the seventh floor, which has glass doors, leading onto a deck, that are left open in the summer. There is a children’s playroom, with toys and a puppet theater, and a “tweens’ den,” with multicolored plush furniture and a Wii. There is a large gym, yoga and Pilates studios, and a spinning room with 20 bikes. There are also two golf simulators.  

In 2014 Frank Gehry will design a new skyscraper in Berlin, Germany that will be the capital city's tallest residential building.  

In addition to designing over 30 existing buildings, Gehry has distinguished himself with a handful of furniture designs, created throughout his career.
Gehry also designed a series of Fish Lamps using "color core" formica, which are now in private and museum collections.

Read more:
Architecture in the Age of Gehry ( Vanity Fair )

Facebook Has Opened A Massive New Office In New York ( Business Insider)

An ancient Egyptian temple in New York

If you’d like to see ancient Egyptian temple or obelisk  you do not need to buy expensive tickets and book a hotel in Cairo.  Egyptian artifacts   are spread throughout the world in numerous museums.  More than one obelisk was carried off from its original locale to grace the grounds of a foreign country.  Temples too can be found in the US, and several European countries.  You can go to Metropolitan Museum in New York and see the beautiful sandstone temple  of Dendur standing in the middle of a bright huge hall.

The temple of Dendur is a very early Roman Period temple built during the rule of Augustus who ruled Egypt between 30 BC and 14 AD. Originally, the Temple   stood on a wide, stone built platform on the left bank of the Nile about  50  miles ( 77 kilometers)  south of Aswan. It  was dedicated to  Osiris,   Egyptian god of the underworld and of vegetation  and his wife Isis. 

Aswan dam
Egyptian temples were not simply houses for a cult. The temple in Egypt was  an image of the natural world as the Egyptians knew it. That’s why we can see papyrus and lotus plants at the temple base  and  image of the sun above the gate.   The original reliefs were painted red, blue, green, yellow and black, from archaic descriptions, but those colors were washed away after the first, smaller Aswan dam was built.  In the 19th century, graffiti was left on the temple walls by visitors from Europe.

The Temple of Dendur was one of several monuments of antiquity threatened with permanent submersion by the construction of the Aswan high Dam in Egypt.  

 The Dam was constructed between 1960 and 1970, and has had a significant impact on the economy and culture of Egypt. In June 1956 the Soviets offered Nasser $1.12 billion at 2% interest for the construction of the dam.  The Soviets also provided technicians and heavy machinery. The dam was designed by the Soviet Hydroproject Institute along with some Egyptian engineers.  Work on this massive project was begun in 1960; the Dam was officially opened in 1970.   Nikita Khrushchev called it "the eighth wonder of the world". The High Dam increased the country's irrigated area by a third.  The dam flooded a large area, causing the relocation of over 100,000 people and submerged archaeological sites.

Egypt had requested aid from the world’s nations in saving some its most precious monuments. In 1960  UNESCO made an international call to save this rich historical legacy.  22 monuments and architectural complexes, that were threatened by flooding from Lake Nasser were preserved by moving them to the shores of Lake Nasser.
As a sign of gratitude for the help Egyptian state donated the temple of Debod to Spain , Temple of Taffeh to Germany and  temple of Dendur to US.
The temple of Dendur was removed from its original site   in 1963. The stone blocks of the temple weighed more than 800 tons in total. They were and transported to the United States. Several  institutions made bids for housing the temple, in a competition that was nicknamed the "Dendur Derby" by the press.
There were plans to  re-erect  the temple on the banks of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C ( as Jacquelyn Kennedy proposed)  or on the Charles River   in Boston. But weather conditions  are different in Egypt and US.
The temple's sandstone would have suffered from the outdoor conditions.
Finally, on April 27th, 1967, the temple was awarded to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Met asked the city for $1.68 million dollars  to re-erect e temple.  The temple arrived and  was housed in a bubble - the first  air -filled structure ever approved by  the building apartment.

Since September of 1978, the temple has formed the Sackler wing of that museum. There is a reflecting pool in front of the temple and a sloping wall behind it, represent the Nile and the cliffs of the original location. The glass on the ceiling and north wall of the wing is stippled in order to diffuse the light and mimic the lighting in Nubia.

Before  1994  museum visitors   were not permitted closer than 30 feet from the temple entrance and were even forbidden to stand on the stone slab of the temple's forecourt.

The Office of Special Events of The Met Museum  is  available to assist with every detail,  creating memorable events if you'd like to have a party  near  The Temple of Dendur in The Sackler Wing of the museum.

San Remo - one of the most exclusive coops in Manhattan.

The San Remo (145 and 146 Central Park West)  is a   27-floor, co-operative apartment building in Manhattan located between West 74th Street and West 75th Streets. It is the first twin-towered building to rise in New York.
Past and present residents of the building include Steven Spielberg, Donna Karan, Demi Moore, Dustin Hoffman,  Bruce Willis. Steve Jobs bought and renovated a penthouse apartment but never lived in it. The San Remo sits on the location that was previously occupied by a hotel of the same name.
In  1940 the most expensive apartment in the twin towered Art Deco masterpiece was rented for $900 a month by a  stockbroker . Another, with room for a family of five, plus the requisite cook, butler and maid, rented for $540.   In February 2013  one of the apartments   was  listed  for rent  with  the  asking price is $29,750 a month. Nationally, according to U.S. inflation data, since 1940 rents have risen 1,014 percent, so they have gone up about 11-fold. In New York  the increase is of 2,787 percent—close to twice the rate of inflation.

The legendary Emery Roth, of Emery Roth and Sons, was the architect behind the design of the San Remo.  Construction began in 1929, weeks before the market crashed, and took approximately two years to build it.
Emery Roth was born to a Hungarian Jewish  and  emigrated to the United States at the age of 13. During the years between the first and the second World wars  Roth's firm built   some of the most famous coop building in New York  such as  Beresford and Eldorado on  Central Park West and  Ritz Tower  on  Park Avenue. When he died in 1948, he left a remarkable legacy of over 250 apartment buildings in New York City.

Choragic Monument of Lysicrates
There are two towers of 10 floors each  in San Remo emerging from the lower 17 floors of apartments. Originally designed to conceal water tanks, Roth’s towers eventually evolved into a major element of his designs.
The circular temples at each top  which were inspired by the ancient The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates near the Acropolis of Athens.

The Great Depression left more than a quarter of the units unoccupied.  In 1940,  the San Remo and the Beresford at 211 Central Park West, completed by  Emery Roth in 1929,  were sold for $25,000—total—over their existing mortgages.

The building has been a privately owned co-op since 1972. The board did turn down an application from Madonna in 1985—presumably because of her paparazzi following.  
There are 138 apartments in the San Remo now, although the number fluctuates as apartments are combined or split.   The North tower has one apartment on each floor. With its better views of midtown, the South tower was considered more desirable and was built with duplex apartments. Units are in very high demand and generally cost no less than $2.5 million dollars. As of January 2014  there are two available apartments for sale  - three bedrooms from $6,495,000  and five bedrooms from $7,595,000.
In  2004 election, the San Remo was the single most giving address to Democratic causes. In 2012  New York Times reported  that residents of the building have donated $395,000 to Romney's campaign and just $112,000 to Obama's. A San Remo couple, Kevin and Karen Kennedy, gave $105,000 to the Romney side.
On December 23, 2013, philanthropist Robert Wilson committed suicide by jumping from his 16th floor apartment in the South Tower.

Central Park West   filled with some of the most famous residences in New York City( and San Remo  on the list)    form the Federally designated Central Park West Historic District that runs from 61st to 97th Streets along the western edge of Central Park.

Gramercy Park, the only one privately-owned park in Manhattan.

Gramercy Park  is one of the only one privately-owned park in Manhatten.  On a map of old farms prepared  in 1853 by Cornelius De Witt, the farm which included what is now Gramercy Park is designated as “Krom Messie". ” Its name is an Anglicized version of "krom moerasje" , Dutch for “little crooked swamp.”
On December 17, 1831 a deed by the real estate developer Samuel Ruggles established the plot of land between 3rd Avenue and Park Avenue South from 18th to 21st Streets as Gramercy Park.  

The fence appeared two years later and the original still stands. The  construction on the surrounding lots did not begin until the 1840s. The park was locked since 1844, the same year its trustees held their first formal meeting .
Gramercy Park is held in common– by the owners of the 39 surrounding structures.
At one time, the park was open to the public on Gramercy Day – which changed yearly, but was often the first Saturday in May. In 2007, the trustees announced that the park would no longer be open for Gramercy Day because it "had turned into a street fair".
The neighborhood was recognized as a historic district in 1966; also in 1966, properties on the east, west and south sides of the park were designated as landmarks.
Two keys are allocated to each of the original lots surrounding the park, and the owners may buy keys for a fee, which was originally $10 per key.

One hundred and fifty years ago, the first keys to the two-acre park  were   made of solid gold. Now they are made from a nickel alloy. Manufactured especially for the Gramercy Park shareholders by Medeco, the key is distinguished by an interesting intangible: It is virtually impossible to duplicate.  The locks are changed yearly.
There were  383   keys manufactured for park users in 2012.  The key costs $350 per year. If you lose a key  you have to pay$1200 for the replacement. Lose it again, and the next one costs $2,000.
The park rules are  very harsh: no dogs, no alcohol, no smoking, no bicycling, no hardball, no lawn furniture, no Frisbees, and   no feeding of any of the birds and squirrels.
The residences with park access are valued 10 percent higher than Gramercy-area properties without it. 
If you are not a resident there few ways for you  get inside the gates.  You can book a room at   the Gramercy Park hotel, which has 12  keys for guests to use. But please remember that the guests of  the Gramercy Park Hotel   are  not allowed into park unless accompanied by hotel staff.
Or you can join the church, synagogue, or one of the arts clubs   (as National Arts Club) that adjoins the park . 
In 2001 the president of the National Arts Club  Aldon James brought about 40 children, mostly minorities, into the park from the nearby school. The trustee  of the parkat the time, Sharen Benenson, called police alleging that the children were trespassing.  The police refused to take action. Later, a suit was filed against the park's administration in Federal Court.  The suit was settled out of court in 2003. Most of the children settled for $36,000 each, while one received $50,000.

Read more:
Real Estate from New York Times: That’s Some Key: How Do You Get a Key to Gramercy Park?

Marquand : The history and new life

The Marquand, a 14-story residence at 11 East 68th Street, Manhattan, turned 100 in 2013. 
Henry Gurdon Marquand  was one of the great art collectors of the 19th century. 
After assisting his brother   in the family jewelry Marquand worked as a banker, a Wall Street broker, and a railroad executive and  accumulated a large fortune. 
He was the treasurer and the president  of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 13 years  from 1889.  
In 1889 Mr. H. G. Marquand donated a collection of paintings by Old Masters and artists of the English school of the highest value. In 1891 he donated $15.000 to purchase a collection of Grecian, Roman and Mediaeval glass.
Marquand Mansion on Madison( destroyed)
 In 1881 Marquand commissioned his friend the eminent architect Richard Morris Hunt to design a mansion for him in New York City. Morris Hunt built Petit Chateau for The William  Vanderbilt on the northwest corner of 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue and the Breakers, the magnificent estate for Cornelius Vanderbilt in Newport , Rhode Island. 
Linden Gate ( burned down)
It was Hunt's fourth project for Henry.  Nine years earlier Hunt had built Marquand a summer residence, Linden Gate  in Newport, Rhode Island. (The house burned down in 1973). 

Hunt built a four-story mansion and two smaller dwellings next to it on the northwest corner of East Sixty-eighth Street and Madison Avenue in 1884, but  it took several more years, however, to complete the interior. 

Satee from the mansion (in Met museum)
The rooms of the Marquand mansion were arranged in a rectangular plan around the centrally located hall, which was one of the most important spaces in any nineteenth-century home. Each room was decorated in a different historical style, forming an appropriate background for Maquand's  collection.
 Henry Gurdon Marquand  died in New York City at the age of 82. His   collection and rare books were sold in 1903. The house was sold in 1909 and again in 1912. 
New York Times reported: “The famous Marquand house…has been sold and will be torn down early in April, to make room for a big apartment house.” Most of its decorations were destroyed.

In 1913 the architect   Herbert Lucas built brick a and terracotta u-shaped 11- story  building  with its courtyard entrance and apartments of seven to 16 rooms. 
Lucas put escutcheons with the letter “M” on the third floor, and advertisements for “Marquand House” evoked the fame of the vanished mansion. The apartments on the first several floors of the Marquand were standard, and  the apartments on the upper floors were larger.  There were also 20 servant’s rooms on the roof.  Six-room apartments at the Marquand were $165 per month; 13-room apartments, $580. 

In 2013, one hundred years after the building was built  rentals were converted into super luxury condominiums  by HFZ Capital.
The 11 East 68th Street building’s new condos  were on  the market from  June 2013, with 22 condos ranging in price from $15 million to $40 million.
The Marquand’s two penthouses with Central park views, one with six bedrooms and another with seven hit the market in October with $43 million and $46 million price tags, respectively.

Times Square 2014 Valentine

Over the last five years there is a design competition for a new sculptural Valentine by an emerging architectural or design company. In 2012 there was a giant red heart that started beating while touching. In 2013 there was a large heart-shaped radiator.

This year Times Square Arts selected Young Projects' Match-Maker as the winner of the 2014.

There are 12 zodiac signs surrounding a complex structure that forms a symmetrical heart. The structure is titled ‘Match-Maker’. When viewers stand on their zodiac sign, their four most ideal astrological mates are revealed through periscopes, creating the opportunity for new encounters.

“I can tell you from personal experience, there is such a thing as love at first sight! In an era of digital communication, our design takes a decidedly analog approach to viscerally connect strangers and reaffirm compatibility between old partners. We are extremely honored to have been chosen by the jury for the 2014 Valentine Heart and are excited to realize the piece in collaboration with Brooklyn-based fabricator Kammetal." said Bryan Young, Principal of Young Projects.

Cartier on 5th Avenue: Pearl necklace for the house.

At the turn of the last century Fifth Avenue in midtown was known as "Millionaires' Row."    In 1902    William K. Vanderbilt offered the corner lot at 52nd Street and 5th Avenue for sale.  His own magnificent mansion was diagonally across the street from the lot. Vanderbilt did not want to see any commercial development so close to his home.  Morton F. Plant, the son of railroad tycoon Henry B. Plant, purchased the land, agreeing to Vanderbilt's stipulation that it could not be used for commercial purposes for 25 years. 

Over the next three years, Plant, and his wife, Nellie, built a six-story, marble and granite, neo-Italian Renaissance-style mansion.    In  1913, Nellie Capron Plant, Morton's wife of 26 years, died. Less than 10 months after the death of Nellie Plant, Morton Plant announced his engagement to Mae Cadwell Manwaring.  Plant was 61 and  Mae- 31.  
Shortly after their marriage, Morton and Mae Plant decided  to  sell the mansion on the corner of 5th Avenue and East 52nd Street - they disliked the rapid commercial redevelopment nearby.  The couple bought a lot on the northeast corner of 5th Avenue and 86th Street and  built   a six-story building, with 100 feet of frontage overlooking Central Park.

 The house on East 86   does  not exist anymore- it was demolished.  In 1960 a  19-story, beige-brick apartment house  ( 1050 Fifth Avenue)  was  built on this lot. 
Cartier is well known for its jewelry  and wrist watches.  Cartier company was founded in 1847 in Paris when  Louis-François Cartier inherited the jewelry workshop  from his master Adolphe Picard.  King Edward VII of England referred to Cartier as "the jeweler of kings and the king of jewelers” . 
In 1907  Cartier held its first exhibition and sale in Saint Petersburg (Russia).  Shortly after, it was appointed as official purveyor to Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.  In 1910. Cartier bought  a “Hope Diamond”   for 550,000 francs ( about $100.000) and sold it in 1911 to Ms. McLean   for  $300.000. In 1949  after her death the diamond was sold to  New York diamond merchant Harry Winston- you can read about him in one of my posts.
 In 1915 Louis Cartier place his   first natural, double-stranded Oriental pearl necklace costing $1.2 million   on exhibition all over the world including Paris, London, and New York City.
Mae Plant  had great admiration this  necklaces and her husband arranged a deal to sell the mansion on East 52nd Street  to Pierre Cartier for $100 and this double strand pearl necklace. 

The value of the necklace decreased significantly after the advent of cultured pearls. Mae died in 1956 and the  necklace was sold at an auction in 1957  for a mere $170,000.   In recent times, however, natural pearls have seen a resurgence of desirability. The famed Baroda Pearls, a double strand of 68 natural pearls, being sold at auction at Christies in 2007 for a record $7.1 million.

 Pierre Cartier established the New York City branch in 1909. He moved to it’s current location in 1917. The Rockefeller family architect supervised the transformation. The addition of the New York brunch turned the company into a worldwide institution.
Marilyn Monroe sang "Cartier!" in the film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".
In 1942 Cartier created the "Caged Bird" brooch as a symbol of the Occupation. In 1944  the "Freed Bird" was created  to celebrate the Liberation of France.

Started from 1979  every year Cartier  house in New York is adorned for the holidays with a red bow and ribbons that wrap up the  building.
Five suspects with hammers entered the store  and 52nd Street at about 12:30 p.m. on January 30, 2014  , smashed open a glass display case. Police said they made off with 16 watches worth more than $700,000.
As of February 2, 2014 two of the five bandits have been busted, cops said.

New York events in February -March 2014: Classic music ,flamenco, Valentine Day and more...

The list Of January- February events in New York could be found here.

Merchant's House Museum Friday, February 14, 7 p.m.
Love in the Parlors - A Valentine in Concert
The Merchant's House Museum is New York City's only family home preserved intact — inside and out — from the 19th century. The house was built in 1832. Singers Anthony Bellov, Rosalind Gnatt, Jane Rady and Dayle Vander Sande perform music by Rossini, Schumann, Liszt, Delibes, Rachmaninoff, Stephen Foster, and more. 75 minutes. $30, $20 Students & Seniors .

Romance Under the Stars in Hayden Planetarium Space Theater

Friday, February 14, 2014 6 and 9:30 pm

$85 per person (includes 1.5 hours  of open bar and appetizers)
Celebrate Valentine's Day with a unique NYC experience only at the Hayden Planetarium! Join us for a cocktail hour, complete with open bar, champagne, and hors d’oeuvres, along with the music of the Josh Rutner Quartet. Then join Hayden presenters Lydia Maria Petrosino and Ted Williams in the planetarium for a view of the night sky. Sit back and enjoy some of the greatest romance stories from the ancient celestial past
Carnegie Hall, 881 7th Ave, New York
St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra
Saturday, February 15, 2014   8 PM
There’s something particularly exhilarating about seeing a legendary Russian orchestra unleash the full power and passion of the great Russian masterworks. The works featured on this program by fellow countrymen Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff are at the core of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra’s identity, flowing through their veins like lifeblood, with their gripping interpretations captivating audiences worldwide.
Yuri Temirkanov, Artistic Director and Principal Conductor
Julia Fischer, Violin
PROKOFIEV Violin Concerto No. 2

6th Annual New York City Beer Week  February 21 - March 2, 2014
Opening night on Friday, Feb. 21, 7 pm - 10 pm, $75

Grand Central Terminal,  Vanderbilt Hall
The New York City Brewers Guild hosts its Opening Night Bash at the iconic Vanderbilt Hall featuring rare and obscure beers from more than 30 breweries from NYC and friends around the region and across the country. Ticket price includes an official NYC Beer Week 2013 tasting glass, and unlimited beer tastings. To purchase tickets, please click here 

 "CASKALOT: A Festive Celebration of NYC Cask Conditioned Ales"  at
508 Gastrobrewery (508 Greenwich Street, NYC, February 23, Sunday.  2 pm - 5 pm & 6 pm - 9 pm, $40 before Feb. 14/$45 after).
NYC Guild Breweries include: 508 Gastrobrewery, Other Half Brewing Co., Brooklyn Brewery, Sixpoint Craft Ales, Birreria At Eataly, Bronx Brewery, Coney Island Brewing Company, HE'BREW Beer, Chelsea Brewing Co., KelSo Beer Co., City Island Brewing Co., Rockaway Brewing, and more TBA. Ticket price includes unlimited pours of cask conditioned ale by NYC Brewers Guild Members, and tickets are available via Eventbrite. .


"Vienna: City of Dreams”  three-week citywide festival , February and March 2014
Highlights of the festival:
The Morgan Library & Museum. Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM  Brahms, Quintet for Clarinet and String Quartet in B minor, Op. 115
Schubert, Octet in F Major, D. 803

Carnegie Hall
Vienna Philharmonic  Orchestra, Vienna State Opera

The Vienna Philharmonic, founded in 1842, is an orchestra, regularly considered one of the finest in the world.
Tuesday, February 25 at 8:00 PM
Wednesday, February 26 at 8:00 PM
Saturday, March 1 at 8:00 PM ( Strauss's Salome -opera in concert)
Thursday, March 13 at 8:00 PM

New York City Center  Flamenco Festival   March 6 - 9, 2014
New York City Center,  55th Street between 6th and 7th avenue

Flamenco Festival is sponsored by Instituto Andaluz del Flamenco and Minister of Education, Culture and Sports of Spain. Flamenco Dance Classes are held Each Night and are free  for ticket holders.Classes start 1½ hours before curtain in Grand Tier Lobby.Tapas & Spanish wine available in the lobby.

Gala Flamenca Thursday, March 6 and Friday,  March 7 8:00PM
This gala brings together four of the world´s most celebrated flamenco dancers: Antonio Canales, one of the most powerful flamenco dancers of all time; the unforgettable choreographer of Nuevo Ballet Español, Carlos Rodríguez; the grand-niece of Carmen Amaya, Karime Amaya; and the young star Jesús Carmona, accompanied by musicians and three female dancers, in an evening that showcases the best of modern flamenco in all its fiery glory.

¡Ay!   Saturday, March 8  8:00pm
Famed for her speed, power and dramatic footwork, Eva Yerbabuena is one of the world’s finest flamenco dancers. In her new work, ¡Ay!, she returns to a more traditional format: a series of solo set pieces with live musical accompaniment, in which she reaffirms her magnetically primal presence.

Sun 7:00pm Lluvia Sunday, March 9, 7:00PM
This show presents Yerbabuena at her most elegant and emotive. Accompanied by four dancers and her critically acclaimed ensemble of musicians, she delivers an unforgettable tour-de-force performance in what has been described as the most sophisticated and powerful production of her career.

The Little Prince: A New York Story.
Exhibition on show  January 24 through April 27, 2014
The Morgan Library & Museum 225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street

Tuesday through Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Admission is free on Fridays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.Sunday: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Little Prince: A New York Story is the first exhibition to explore in depth the creative decisions Saint-Exupéry made as he crafted his beloved story that reminds us that what matters most can only be seen with the heart.

This exhibition features twenty-five of the manuscript pages—replete with crossed-out words, cigarette burns, and coffee stains—and all forty-three of the earliest versions of drawings for the book. Also on view are rare printed editions from the Morgan's collection as well as personal letters, photographs, and artifacts on loan from the Saint-Exupéry estate, private collections, and museums and libraries in France and the United States.

Exhibition-related films are free with museum admission.
The Coffee & Tea Festival, March 22-23
69th Regiment Armory 68 Lexington Avenue (between 25th - 26th)

Saturday, March 22, 2014: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 23, 2014: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
Join more than 60 exhibitors from around the globe as they pour tastings of their finest coffees and teas and introduce you to new and award-winning products – the 2014 lineup will surpass all years past and include more coffee, as requested! This international extravaganza celebrating all things coffee and tea will offer two days of programs from well-known industry pros and pioneers, pairings,tastings, and more!
The 25,000 sq. ft. exhibit hall will also feature some of the most delectable sweet and savory foods to compliment the spectacular collection of coffees and teas. Plus, the first 1,500 attendees to walk through the doors each day will be handed a free gift bag with samples from top brands to take home! Bring your family, bring your friends – make it an inexpensive and delicious day out! Tickets will not be sold at the door once the event sells out.  You can buy discount tickets ( 50% of) with Travelzoo